(that's me in the red shirt)1. Goals
So I met my first goal. The whole point of doing the half-marathon (especially the training) was to make sure that all of my baby fat was gone. My second goal: finishing in under two hours. Didn't do it. My revised goal: finishing. Did it. I will have to go back some time and beat two hours.
2. Hotels
From now on, whenever doing an out of town race, I will stay at a hotel that is recommended by the race organizers. We originally went to a Quality Inn Hotel about 10 minutes away to save $100. Big mistake. It must have been the first Quality Inn hotel ever built. It was really the scummiest hotel we have ever been in. And they had no cribs! I didn't realize that cribs were not guaranteed and thus did not bring my pack 'n play. So we arrived at the hotel in Baltimore at 11pm with nowhere to put our baby to sleep. And with his newfound mobility, we certainly need something to reign him in. The bedspread in our nonsmoking room had cigarette burns all over it. And Jonathan said that the bar 20 yards away reminded him of the bar in Star Wars. It was thumping so loud. As I was curled up in bed, miserably composing my letter of complaint, my knight in shining armor abandoned his futile attempt at rocking Jackson to sleep, cuddled up to me in bed and suggested that we try and find another hotel. My heart sang! That was what I wanted more than anything else in the whole world. We found a room (and a crib) at the Marriott, a mere two blocks away from the race. Jackson was a rich baby for a night. He loved it. We finally went to sleep at 1am. 

3. Children
So I'm hoping that next time I run an out of town race, we can leave our offspring at home with some loving, caring family member. Jackson did not sleep well on the way to or from Baltimore, which means neither did I.
4. Gratitude
Despite the somewhat crazy weekend it ended up being, I'm glad that I did it. It was a good experience. Big huge races are fun. There were 7,500 people running the half-marathon. I enjoyed getting to spend so much time with Jonathan. I am grateful for a healthy body that enables me to do such things.
8 comments:
alex, you are amazing!
Congratulations! You are a rock star, and so is Jon for being super-husband. Way to know what she wanted and suggesting it before she had to ask. :)
What a cool experience. I'm proud of you! And glad you found another hotel :) do they make negative star rating for hotels? Cause they should! Congrats on running the race!
I want to be like you, Alex.
Way to go, Alex! That's fabulous. And I can relate to the yucky hotel thing. We stayed in one near Kirtland that left ALOT to be desired. I wouldn't even walk around in the room without my shoes on. Man alive! They need to tear those ratty old places down or gut them at least and start over. Our non-smoking room in a hall that said "no smoking" sure was smoky. Funny thing. :-(
Awesome Alex! You are amazing! I'm so glad you got to sleep in the Marriott too. I really don't like scummy, dirty hotels. Yuck!
I'm impressed! Running non-stop for 2 hours is close to my idea of hell, but I'm glad you like it ;) Maybe that's why you're in such great shape and I'm...well, not!
Congratulations! It was good to see you....even if just for a brief moment. I'll be doing the Richmond Half in a few weeks if you want to join me. I here it's flat and the weather should be much more pleasant.
Post a Comment