In the morning, we did a day hike on the Appalachian Trail to a popular lookout called McAfee's Knob. We were grateful for the service "road" (read wide, somwhat level trail) for the first 2.5 miles. We joined up with the AT for the last mile.
What a beautiful part of the country we live in. The view was amazing. We sure do love the Blue Ridge Mountains. Jackson's favorite part was the dried apples that we had for a snack.
So we lost a shoe on the way up. A hand-me-down shoe and just for warmth, not for foot protection since he still isn't walking. Oh my goodness, every single group we saw on the way down (and there were many) told us that they saw a baby shoe on the trail. Thankfully some hikers were only about 50 yards away from having seen it and were able to help us find it. It was tan leather and blended in very well with the yellow leaves all over the trail. We probably wouldn't have been able to find it by ourselves. I didn't see it until I turned around and walked back up the hill. Much easier to see on the way up than on the way down.
Family came over for dinner and presents and cake. Jackson loved dinner. He struggled with so many presents. Now we know-spread them out. Don't try and open them all at once, at least with one year olds.
Jackson didn't really like the cake. It bothered him that his hands were all dirty, he kept trying to shake the frosting off. I tried feeding him some with the spoon and he make such a face. I think it was a combination of being tired, being full from dinner and being overwhelmed with the taste of so much sugar. He would have enjoyed a yobaby yogurt or a handful of gerber yogurt melts much more.It was so fun to spend the day thinking about Jackson and talking about him and adoring him. In our family, we have a tradition where at dinner we go around the table and say something we like about the birthday person. Mine is that I love how happy he makes other people. Even complete strangers at the grocery store light up when he smiles or waves or points at them. I am grateful to be the mother of a little boy who brings light into other peoples lives.
8 comments:
Happy Birthday Jackson! Can you believe how fast they grow??!!
Happy Birthday, Jackson! I thought the account of his party was funny- because Carol was the same way. Too many presents at once, and didn't like dirty hands or cake.
Feliz Cumpleanos! Babies grow up WAY to fast. :(
Happy birthday Jackson!! You look so grown up! That chocolate cake looks pretty delicious. Yum, yum!
I think all new parents have to go through a learning curve when it comes to birthdays. It's just part of the process. By the time you have your last child, the first birthday is usually a lot calmer for them. But he looks to be enjoying himself quite a lot anyway.
Happy Birthday, big boy!
Happy birthday, Jackson! I love that the cake is ON him way more than IN him. :)
JON LUBECK WHAT IS UP!!! (This is steph plummer) I've been blog hopping today and found a lot of your fam. Happy b-day to your little one, he is so cute. You can check out my family blog if you want. I hope you are doing well!!
Happy Day Jackson! Way to go buddy :) It looks like you had fun on the hike too, I wish we could have come with you! Those cake face pictures are priceless (even if he wasn't a big fan.)
Post a Comment