Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Some Stories

I have a few funny anecdotes about our kids that I have been wanting to post for a while. Jonathan is downstairs jamming with the guys in preparation for his gig on Friday night (you should come if you're in town!) and I am clearly not wanting to fold laundry or do the dishes. I should save some of these stories for future posts and spread out the wealth but let's face it, who knows when I would get around to part two? And posting these are as much for me as they are for you.

Jackson has recently started sustaining people when they are given new callings in church. For those of you who don't know how it works, when a person is given a new responsibility in church, we are asked to sustain him or her (meaning that we will support them and give help if needed). First all in favor raise their hands and then those who are not in favor are given the chance to raise their hands. Jackson was always behind in raising his hand with everyone else who was in favor and often raised his hand as one who was "not in favor."

When Lucy was born, one of Jackson's consolation prizes for getting a sibling was a doll stroller. It's no longer a doll stroller, it's a toy stroller. He loads it up with his prized possessions (his trains, cars and corn) and pushes it around the house.

Yes, I said that corn was one of his prized possessions. For some reason, he has a serious attachment to an ear of corn that came in the box of plastic food he got for Christmas. We will be playing kitchen and all of a sudden, he will ask in a distressed tone, "Corn? Corn?" until he locates it. I have to know where the corn is at all times. Sometimes he asks for it even when we aren't playing kitchen. I recently started taking it with us when we go to someone else's house to play. He can NOT share corn so I have his on hand just in case (I do the same thing with his vehicles from the Cars movie and some trains).

Recently Jonathan has been coming home from work and going for a run right away. Jackson has gone in the jogging stroller twice. But it is more common for him to run around the house while Jonathan is also running. He likes to wear his baseball hat while he's running (another thing that I need to know where it is at all times).


The running hat

Jackson has an uncanny ability to remember exactly what was on his mind before falling asleep. Two examples. One day we were on our way home from Sam's Club. I had brought some Craisins for him to eat in the car but he wanted more. I told him that he could have some more when we got home. He fell asleep before we got home. When we got home and I took him out of his car seat, he woke up and the first words out of his mouth were, "Mer Craisins?" Second example. We have started using the timer with Jackson. He is all about "two minutes" more if he has to do something like go to bed, have a diaper change or get dressed. So we give him a warning, set the timer for two minutes and can then proceed with the task at hand. One morning I went in to Jackson's room after he woke up and the first words out of his mouth were, "Two minutes?" It's really adorable when he holds up all ten fingers when asking for two minutes.

We recently got a jumperoo for Lucy. Both kids have LOVED the one at the YMCA and I finally bought one for us off Craig's List. Lucy goes nuts in it. She jumps so hard she literally jumps her socks off.

That's about it for Lucy. But she is so adorable. I knew that I would love her, but I didn't know that I would love her SO much. She is such a delight. She still smiles with her whole body. If I'm holding her and she's looking at Jonathan, she'll smile at him and then cuddle into my shoulder. She can't keep her eyes off him (she has good taste in men).
Lucy's "Melt Your Heart" Smile

4 comments:

Alice-Anne said...

I loved the stories...your kids are so cute!

Katie said...

great stories! i love getting a glimpse into life a la jackson and lucy.

Karen Lubek said...

Love Love Love the stories! The pics are great, too! Thanks for all your posting- you are a Grandma's dream come true. Love you!

Preethi said...

Love these stories. :) About the two minutes more in bed - I can totally relate!