Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Ego Trip

So yesterday we went skiing for the first time in two years. And the year before that we only went once and none the year before that and once the year before that and the winter before that was my last winter of truly being a "skiier." While I was a senior at BYU, I arranged my entire final semester around ski class. Including my senior seminar, which luckily didn't meet every week. But I will admit to missing a class or two to hit the slopes. But that is a story for another post.

One of the conditions that I imposed on Jonathan when we moved to Virginia was that we would take ski vacations. That is a leeetle bit tricky when nursing a four-month old. But as you have already learned, not much stands in the way when I decide that I need to ski. We decided that we would make it happen on our family vacation to New York. We found the nearest resort that is "good," and formulated a plan. Jackson stayed home with Grandma and three bottles of breastmilk. We convinced Jonathan's fourteen year old brother Grant to play hooky from school and come with us. It didn't take much convincing. 

We got up to the mountain and took Grant on his first run down the mountain. He had a rough go of it at first. It took about 45 minutes to get down the slope the first time. Jonathan is a very patient teacher and after a few runs of his own, sent me off to the harder slopes while he worked with Grant. On the ride up the lift, I got some advice from a native New Yorker with a sweet accent. I asked him about some good runs and after probing about my skiing background, made a few recommendations. When I told him that I was a West Coaster skiier, he said, "Oh, if you're an intermediate West Coast skiier, you'll be advanced here." I had my doubts, especially considering the infrequency of my ski trips lately. But he was right. I did one "intermediate" run to warm up on and an "advanced" black diamond on my second run. For those of you skiiers out there, you know that is not really normal-to do a black diamond on your second run in two years. Talk about feeling good about yourself! I felt like a super skiier!

Jonathan and Grant also did great. Jonathan amazed me with his sweet skiing skills and we were able to ski several runs together. Something clicked with Grant and he was cruising like a speed demon down the bunny slopes at the end of the day. Jackson did fine at home with his Grandma. All in all, I would have to say that it was a perfect day.

(We did not take this picture-I just thought that it would liven up the post)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Sounds like fun! Perhaps I need to ski in the East. My past experiences here are generally just me trying to avoid death and other skiers.