I was up a million times in the middle of the night, drinking water, going to the restroom. Trying to take care of all those things that can lead to unproductive contractions. Jackson woke up at 5:40am this morning. Jonathan rolled over and said "I will trade you the next two days of getting up with Jax if you will do it today." At which point I finally mentioned the contractions because I didn't really have much confidence in my ability to be with Jackson by myself. Jon sprung out of bed and scooted off to the kitchen with Jackson for some "guh."
About ten minutes later, I decided that I could no longer handle the contractions laying down and we got out a watch and a piece of paper to start timing the contractions. After an hour of timing, we called the doctor. He said that it would be much easier to come into the office for a check (as opposed to the hospital) and then decide what to do. So I packed my bag in between contractions, Jon got Jackson ready and we headed off. We went and dropped Jackson off at his cousins house (ie, heaven) and made our way to the doctors office. At which point I was declared fully dilated and given directions to get to the hospital (just around the corner) as soon as possible and to not push in the car.
About 30 or 40 minutes after arriving in the hospital, we had our little babe. It was fast, fast, and fast. No time for an epidural, which I was definitely planning on. Holy freaking cow. I will not lie to you. Natural childbirth is hard. Especially since I wasn't prepared for it and not planning for it. I will spare you the details but at one point in time, I moaned, "I just want to quit." The nurses kindly reminded me that I couldn't. Yay for nurses. And I am not being sarcastic. I am being very serious. I couldn't have done it without them. There were a whole heap of them in the room, but two who did most of the helping. I didn't even get to catch their names but I am so grateful for them. At the moment, I think that the best part of a natural childbirth is the recovery. I was ready to be moved to the recovery floor a short while after giving birth.
It was so fast. I don't know that I want to repeat it but hey, mostly sleeping through a lot of labor isn't a bad thing. And I can be nothing but grateful for a successful delivery, a strong and healthy baby and health for myself. We are very blessed. It was a good day for Jonathan to take off work at the last minute. My mother-in-law is coming down tomorrow and will stay until my mom gets here. And we now have two babies when so many people are aching for just one. AND, we have a laptop to help while away the hours at the hospital. Which is one of the most boring places on earth as far as I am concerned. Luckily, we have a good book that we are reading together (Fablehaven) and a new movie from Netflix (Yes Man). My plan is to get out of here tomorrow around lunchtime.
And now, for reading the long story, I reward you with some more pictures from today.
Proud Papa.
12 comments:
You beat me!!! I'm so jealous I'm already 2 days overdue! Mostly though I'm so happy for you, Jon, and Jackson. Yeah for names with alliteration...Lucy Lubeck is adorable (the name and the little person herself). Congratulations!!!
Congratulations! I love her name. Ironically, if we're lucky enough to have two more girls, we'll have an Elizabeth and a Lucy! Those are the only 2 girls names besides Olivia that we've ever agreed on. I'm glad everything went so well. She's beautiful!
Congratulations!! You're amazing! I can't believe you were just calmly going through labor all at home like it was nothing! And then NO epidural. My hero. AMAZING!!! Cute little girl...we're so happy for you and Jonathan. You'll have your hands full! And that's good. :)
Alex, that whole story sounds very much like when I had Amy, except I was in the hospital for only 20 minutes when out she popped (and I was nearly 3 weeks early with her.) Hooray for fast deliveries, and although I was wishing for some pain meds at the time, I thought the recovery was fabulous and the whole experience was the best of my three. I was on such a "high" when it was all over that I absolutely could not sleep.
Congrats to you all. Very cute baby!!!
What a beautiful girl! Congratulations.
Congrats! You're a champ. Glad to hear everyone is well.
Next it's our turn. :)
We are so excited for you. I can't believe how fast that was. I am not sure that I would do the natural thing if possible, but you sound like you did fabulous. She is adorable and we wish you the best.
Oh I am dying here! I love, love, love that name. Lucy Lubeck. It is perfect. Alex, you are amazing. I can't believe you did it all natural. Congratulations you guys. She is gorgeous!
Congrats you guys! She is beautiful. Quite a good story as well!
CONGRATS!!!! SO exciting!! I'm with you on the natural labor part - during mine I said "I can't do this anymore!" and I seriously just wanted to stop. Luckily right then the dr said "You don't have to, you're done!" She is BEAUTIFUL!!
Oh what a beautiful family you are! Many blessings to the Lubeck clan! Glad all is well.
Congratulations.....
Auntie Deb
Congratulations! She is beautiful!
Post a Comment