Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Job Chart
I have been feeling overwhelmed with the upkeep of a house that is twice the size of our previous apartment. My sister-in-law has a "job chart" that she uses for taking care of her house. So I recently borrowed the book that she got all of the weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual tasks from and made a job chart for myself. I started using it last week and it has made a big difference. I know that if I do certain tasks each day that I will be able to "keep my house humming" (to borrow a phrase from the book). I know when to stop working on the house. Otherwise I have a tendency to keep going and going and going and burn myself out. So things are going better here now. Don't get me wrong, I still have half-unpacked boxes lying around the house, bare walls, etc. But, I do know that the living areas of my house are well taken care of now. And that gives me more time to do things that I enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Sounds like a great idea. Years ago I had a little file box with daily, weekly, monthly, etc., jobs on 3 X 5 cards. It was great for awhile but I found myself stressing a little too much over getting those cards completed. That was from a book called Sidetracked Home Executives, written by the SLOB sisters! Pretty funny, those two. What's the book called. Inquiring minds want to know!
I know what this feels like! It was especially overwhelming moving into a bigger house--that still needed some TLC--and having a new baby. After reading Confessions of an organized homemaker...and applying a few things...life got better. I still can't get everything done (and we are barely get unpacked almost a year later) and can't imagine how people with REALLY big houses keep up with cleaning, yard work, decorating, repairs, etc. Little by little--it comes! Good luck! What's the name of your book?
FlyLady.org is a great resource too! I struggle with the same things. I'm glad you're enjoying your new house!
I need to do this! What is the book called?
Post a Comment