It all started about four years ago. Jonathan and I really started getting to know each other when I went home with him for Thanksgiving. It would have been awkward if it was just the two of us since nothing romantic was in the works yet but our friend Jason (whose family is in Idaho) came as well. We had fun shopping at the outlets, hiking and playing games at home. We've spent every Thanksgiving together since we met. That's something to be grateful for. We spent this Thanksgiving with Jonathan's family again, but they were all here! It was fun to reminisce for a few minutes about that first Thanksgiving that I met his family. Our Thanksgiving preparations started on Monday.
We are avid fans of America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Illustrated/Cook's Country. Trying to make a dinner that involved peoples favorites and traditional family recipes intimidated me. I don't think that I was looking for it but came across an entire menu for a "make-ahead" Thanksgiving dinner. Once I saw that, I knew that it would work. I just did everything that the book said. That way, there was no emotional attachment and I wouldn't have to be stressed out on turkey day. Alright, I got a little bit stressed by the end of the day but nothing that ruined the day or that Jonathan couldn't help manage. I made the cranberry sauce, stuffing, gravy, and mashed potatoes before anyone arrived. The veggies and the turkey were the only things that had to be cooked on Thursday.
We are avid fans of America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Illustrated/Cook's Country. Trying to make a dinner that involved peoples favorites and traditional family recipes intimidated me. I don't think that I was looking for it but came across an entire menu for a "make-ahead" Thanksgiving dinner. Once I saw that, I knew that it would work. I just did everything that the book said. That way, there was no emotional attachment and I wouldn't have to be stressed out on turkey day. Alright, I got a little bit stressed by the end of the day but nothing that ruined the day or that Jonathan couldn't help manage. I made the cranberry sauce, stuffing, gravy, and mashed potatoes before anyone arrived. The veggies and the turkey were the only things that had to be cooked on Thursday.
A cool thing that they do here in Roanoke is something called the Drumstick Dash. This is the second year that it has been put on and the second year that Jon and I have participated. It's a 5K Race/Family Walk to benefit the Rescue Mission which is the local homeless shelter and addiction recovery program. Jon and his youngest brother Grant ran the course and the rest of us (Jon's parents, sister, brother-in-law, Jackson and I) walked the course. Jon and I hope that doing a race on Thanksgiving morning will always be a family tradition. It's nice to do something active on a day that is normally associated with feeling like a fat dog. We had a great meal and were also joined by Jonathan's aunt and uncle from North Carolina. We spent the rest of the weekend playing games, playing racquetball, playing music, singing Christmas carols, watching Nero Wolfe and enjoying each others company.


Jackson was adored all weekend long and got lots and lots of cuddles from everyone. He is such a good baby and was content to be held by anyone. We had his blessing at church on Sunday. Everyone left after church to make their long drives home. Our post party blues were postponed for a day by the arrival of our friends Rob and Sara and their baby boy Jasper. They are our best friends from Seattle and we have missed them desperately. They were out visiting family members on the east coast and were in our neck of the woods. Imagine that! Being near Roanoke-it was meant to be. We had such a great time with them. Just like the good ol' days-it was so natural to have them here.

No comments:
Post a Comment