We did have an enjoyable weekend camping with one of my life-long friends (preschool on up through college). We met at a state park in West Virginia at a relative half-way point between our two houses. They're such good friends that it's like camping with family. Despite the rain and the incredibly windy road (that was so windy it make me carsick for the second time in my life), much fun was had. If they stay out here on the "East Coast," it might become an annual event.
All loaded up and ready to go. Despite all of the stuff crammed around Jackson (and in the trunk), I felt ill-prepared once we got there. I forgot Jackson's only sweater and extra blankets. It was cold at night. Bad news for me. Jonathan actually spent the first night sleeping outside the tent to avoid Jackson's crazy sleep maneuvers, until it rained.
These are scratches from the wild (but collared--?) dogs that roamed the camp after we went to bed at night. Just kidding. About the scratches, not the dogs. It was eerie to be lying down and hear dogs sniffing around the tent. We heard some dog fights both nights. I had a dream one night that one of the dogs was lying down outside the tent right next to me and trying to cuddle to keep warm. Does that give you any indication of what I spent my nights doing with Jackson?
Okay, the scratches are actually from this nasty thorny vine that attacked Jackson on a hike. It didn't get any of the rest of us but he was up so high in the backpack that it attacked him. And he got that monster mosquito bite the first night we were there. Poor kid!
The skies finally cleared up the second morning (the day we left). Our main activity on Friday afternoon was driving to a high priced grocery store to get some essential items (cooking oil and chocolate) which also put all the kids to sleep.
So when it was finally sunny and clear we rented some rowboats and went on a tour of the lake. Fun. Cute Jackson. It didn't really faze him to be on the water. He enjoyed chewing on his cell phone and eating fruit puffs. Jonathan enjoyed rowing on the lake with his soul mate.
Yes, there is more to the trip than I wrote about. Like the grist mill we saw, the paper boat race, hanging out with the kids while the Franklins went on an anniversary boat ride, the games, tennis racquets and swimming suits that went untouched and the tin foil dinners that were cooked in the rain by two men wearing ponchos and served in the tent. But like I said, I am not a compelling writer and I am tired so you will just have to fill in the blanks. Or check out the Franklin Chronicle (thanks for the tip Ma Fitz!) to see some good writing.
2 comments:
sounds like a fun time in spite of Mother Nature. I enjoyed it all except for this line: "If they stay out here on the 'East Coast,' it might become an annual event." As Nana to those two boys, I'm hoping it doesn't become an annual event at all. :-) You know how we grandmothers can be!
Glad everyone got back home safely.
P.S. I'm not terribly computer savvy myself, but to hyperlink, just highlight the word(s), then click on the little link (think link of a fence) on the bar at the top (on the same bar that you click to add photos), and it will give you a spot to insert the URL. You can do it!
Post a Comment